Sen. Sanders Leaves the Door Open to a New People’s Party

Washington D.C. — (2/12/17) The Draft Bernie campaign was pleased to see Sen. Bernie Sanders leave the door open to starting a new people’s party in an interview with NBC’s Meet the Press this morning.

When asked about starting a new party, the Senator responded that for the moment, his approach is to reform the Democratic Party. “Right now, Chuck, I am working to bring fundamental reform to the Democratic Party,” said Sanders.

Far from rejecting a new party, Sanders kept it on the table, as he has done many times before. For instance, in a C-SPAN interview in June of last year, Sanders told Steve Scully, “The action is going to be in the Democratic Party, or perhaps a third party . But the goal right now is to open up the Democratic Party to millions of people.” He reiterated this position in an interview with Amy Goodman in late November.

Sanders’ highest commitment is not to any particular political party, but to realizing progressive change for the working people of this country. That is why the senator always qualifies his remarks by saying that reforming the Democratic Party is his approach “right now,” not forever and always.

Sanders efforts since the election have sparked a conversation between reforming the Democratic Party and creating a new party. The American public has now answered that question with a resounding call for an independent alternative.

Gallup figures reveal that the number of Americans who identify as Democrats has fallen by a staggering 20 percent since the presidential election. That represents about 14 million Democrats who have gone independent since November.

The movement out of the establishment parties is a striking national referendum in favor of a new people’s party. A majority are now calling for a major third party.

Millions of hard-working Americans are joining Bernie Sanders as an independent. They are waiting for a leader like Sanders to unite them into a political force that can revolutionize the country. As a lifelong independent, Sanders is well aware of the option of starting a new party.

The launch of Draft Bernie for a People’s Party has been been met with a reawakening of the electric enthusiasm and hope that drove Sanders’ presidential campaign. Last year, Sanders called progressives to the political revolution. Now thousands of his supporters have joined to call him to a new people’s party.

Bernie is a man of the people. If we show him that we’re ready to found our own progressive party, he will listen.

Download PDF

30 thoughts on “Sen. Sanders Leaves the Door Open to a New People’s Party

1. Shelly Wallman February 17, 2017 at 7:48 pm

This is the time, Bernie. The opportunity may never again be so fertile. Please don’t pass up up this opportunity which may never be repeated. Be America’s 21th Century Abraham Lincoln. Don’t disappoint millions. You are our only hope.

• Jae Way February 21, 2017 at 8:45 am

I totally agree, Shelly Wallman. There is no one else that cares about people as much as Bernie. It’s never about him; he is always thinking about how he can make our lives better. I am 100% with you.

2. Chris jones February 20, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Bernie,
    If you build it, they will come. I’m a life long, baby boomer Democrat that will gladly leave my party and campaign for progressive change. If you lead; me, my family, and my friends will follow.

3. Dru Deiner February 20, 2017 at 8:36 pm

The Dems no longer have our backs.
    Ditch them while you can still save face.
    America needs you with a People’s Party.
    Please.

4. Paul J Jakuboski February 20, 2017 at 9:18 pm

The citizens of this nation need an honest and unbiased new deal for our future Senator Sanders. We feel you are our best option. “The needs of the many, out weight the needs of the few”.

5. shawn k. skinner February 20, 2017 at 11:19 pm

we need a new choice!!!!!!

6. Alexander S. McGrath February 20, 2017 at 11:35 pm

I’m signing only because I think Bernie Sanders is the best man for the job, period. He’s proven that over the last thirty years — he is not beholden to corporations, has solid plans for ranking us higher in areas where other countries lead us, and actually seems to care about Americans. He has my vote. No one else in this oligarchical lobbyist paradise does. Good luck, Bernie. America needs you.

7. Guzel Ibragimova February 20, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Please help us to stand up for the feirness. We are ready for the change. We cannot do it without strong leader as yourself and you are our hope for a better life. With you we can eliminate corruption and decrease impact on the invironment. We do not have a power to stand up for ourself, this is why we need you. We need to be organized into party that has values representing our interests.
    Thank you for your spiritual strength and big hart.

8. Kathryn Stephens February 21, 2017 at 1:27 am

Bring Bernie back!!!!!!!!!

9. Linda February 21, 2017 at 2:32 am

Why are we ramping up a new Cold War with Russia? No one wants this except for the military-industrial complex, and apparently the CIA. Please help, on this path that the USA is on things may go horribly wrong. Education, healthcare, and supporting seniors is much more important! Please help people just have a living wage, our military is so out of control. I don’t want to go kill ISIS wherever in the world they are -that will take all of our tax money and more, and will never end- never.

10. Garth Saalfield February 21, 2017 at 4:08 am

I believe many of us, perhaps Bernie included, are waiting to see if the DNC will elect Keith Ellison as the party’s new chairperson (this Friday!).
    We’ll certainly know more by this weekend. Stay tuned!

• carol February 21, 2017 at 4:20 pm

As Nick Brana has so eloquently stated over and over, it matters not one wit who the chair is. However, if Ellison is elected it will keep the wolves at bay long enough to lose another election cycle.

11. Jae Way February 21, 2017 at 8:48 am

12. Dean Davis February 21, 2017 at 9:15 am

Yes please but no DNC established,

13. Mark W. Danforth February 21, 2017 at 1:30 pm

THIS IS THE TIME TO MAKE THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY SHOW LOYALTY TO THE PEOPLE RATHER THAN THEIR BIG CORPORATE DONORS!! – IF THE DNC DOES NOT CHANGE IT’S ALLEGIANCE, A NEW PARTY IS THEN REQUIRED!!!! GO PROGRESSIVES AND GO BERNIE!!

14. Jeanne collins February 21, 2017 at 2:07 pm

Please Bernie, you are our hope to turn this fascist ship around!

15. barbara north February 21, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Im in .

16. Bruce McMicking February 21, 2017 at 4:00 pm

The Democrats want to run Hillary again and we all know she will lose again. You would have won this time by a landslide. If the Dems won’t back you please form your own party.

17. Ruth Roberts February 21, 2017 at 4:13 pm

The Democratic Party has shown itself to be a clique which does not want to give any voice to Progressives. It’s the same old greedy cabal that’s run it for the last 40 years and didn’t learn a thing from the last election. Bernie, you were the legitimate nominee and behaved with honor when the party stole the nomination. It’s time to leave a sinking ship and form a new party in the tradition of FDR. You can do it and we love you! P.S. Bring the bird along as our symbol.

18. MaryJane Rissberger February 21, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I need Bernie to be drafted to organize and head a party and run in 2020 because I have too much money invested in pro-Bernie clothes.

• rod February 23, 2017 at 7:48 am

LOL – enlightened self interest?

19. Rhys Rowland February 21, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I would have followed Bernie on an independent campaign last November. Was very disappointed when he did not declare. I have been a life long democrat, but am disgusted with the party. I would whole heatedly embrace a new party that can harness the progressive movement. I voted third party this past fall as I had no real idea of what Ms. Clinton stood for or the DNP. I know that some of my friends would follow into a new party that is clear that it is not about supporting the continued redistribution of wealth to the top 1%. I see that as the greatest threat to our republic right now. I think there is a lot of support for this notion including many of the populists who voted for Trump because they had not other place they thought represented change. This movement needs a home. I think Bernie is the right guy to lead this. I think a three party system would actually benefit this country. I believe it would create more cooperation between the parties to create more coalitions. This would force more ideologues from their entrenched positions. I am for this idea, lets make it happen!

20. Charles Browning February 21, 2017 at 4:47 pm

Bernie needs his own party that will not subvert his election as the party nominee.

21. Charles Browning February 21, 2017 at 4:49 pm

Bernie needs a party that will not subvert his election as the party nominee unlike the dummycrats.

22. Kelly Tucker February 21, 2017 at 7:35 pm

Bernie, my family and I would all follow you. Your leadership, kind heart and drive for a prosperous America is needed.

23. Brian Carlson February 22, 2017 at 8:01 am

Please. I suspect many millions are tired, exhausted and pissed off watching the two giants club each other over the head every election cycle, watching the stalemate in Congress, the dysfunction of a system in which only two candidates a year are viable and they must be produced by the owners of one of these two parties.
    START A NEW PARTY SENATOR. FORGET the neo-liberal Democrats and the neo-fascist GOP. Leave them in your dust.
    PS. Get a two state solution in Palestine. We can not support apartheid any longer. Respectfully….

24. jennifer brunning February 22, 2017 at 2:09 pm

I have been a supporter of the Clintons for my entire adult life. I honestly never CONSIDERED Bernie in the primaries. I was swept up in the possibility of having a woman who I so respected as President (not to mention totally distracted by the idea that Trump could become President). I have since read Bernie’s book and I am OVERCOME with regret that I dismissed this man. I don’t think the Democratic Party will undergo the ‘radical overhaul’ it needs to survive. I thought the priority should be winning elections, but now I believe it is actually about SOLVING PROBLEMS, and I believe Bernie can do both. It’s not a question of if I (& other former establishment Democrats) can give Bernie a chance, it’s now a PLEA that BERNIE give US a chance – to support him and his ideals in the forming of a new party.

• rod February 23, 2017 at 7:43 am

Thank you for your heartfelt testimonial. You are one of so many, like us, who Bernie has awoken to what is possible through his relentless message of love and inclusion.

25. William February 22, 2017 at 5:31 pm

We want Bernie……….. get this through your freakin heads you self serving, self centered, bought out,crooked politicians!!!!!!!

26. Sherry February 23, 2017 at 8:38 am

I was raised in the 70’s and 80’s by grandparents who could have easily said ‘Find a safe place and settle.’ Both being children of the coal mining industry in Pennsylvania and sufferers of the harsh realities of the Great Depression it was what they had been taught. But they didn’t tell me that. They taught me instead to stand up for what was right even when it ran counter-current to what was the ‘IN’ thing. Because of their example, I’ve chosen to stand with Mr. Sanders and the American people to help bring our nation back to one that is governed FOR the people, BY the people. Not bought and run by the corporate elite. Remove the real drain on our society, open an honest dialog for discussion and compromise, accept that the people want to change out from that ‘same old same old,’ get people like Mr. Sanders and Mr. Ronan to be the speakers through which our voice is heard and then maybe, just maybe, our already great country can become a true bastion of opportunity, safety and freedom.

Comments are closed.